Law 101

Get Answers
Home \ Law 101 \ Texas Immigration Law \
Attorney of THELAW.TV answers:

Why hire an immigration attorney or lawyer?

Martin Sweet, J.D., PhD., is THELAW.TV's Research Advisor. If you need legal assistance, please consult one of the featured law firms on or choose a legal topic to the left to get answers.

Immigration Law \ All Questions

Who is eligible for asylum?

Can I apply for asylum even if I am in the United States illegally?

Can I apply for asylum if I have been convicted of a crime?

Who determines whether I will be granted asylum?

What happens if I am granted asylum?

How do I get proof of my American citizenship?

Who is entitled to H-1B status and for how long?

What are the qualifications for employment-based priority workers for green cards?

What is a National Interest Waiver (NIW)?

Do I need a visa to own a business in the United States?

What type of visa do I need to work in the United States?

Can I work in the United States with a B1/B2 tourist or business visitor visa?

How can I get a Social Security number?

What happens if my application for United States citizenship is denied?

What are the requirements for naturalization?

Can I reapply for naturalization if United States CIS denies my application?

If I am a United States citizen, is my child a United States citizen?

How do I become a United States citizen through my family or relatives?

How do I request citizenship for my spouse and children?

Can I become a United States citizenship through any type of visa?

Where do I present or submit my citizenship application?

Can I take the citizenship test in another language or only in English?

What type of questions are included in the English and civic sections of the citizenship or naturalization test?

Once I pass the naturalization test, do I automatically become a United States citizen?

I am a Canadian currently working in the United States under a TN (NAFTA) visa. Can I apply for an H-1B?

I have an green card and have been offered Canadian permanent residency. Will there be a problem?

What is the basis for being deported? What are the consequences of deportation?

How is the deportation process initiated?

What is cancellation of removal related to being taken into immigration custody?

How do aggravated felonies affect deportation?

I am now on probation. Will the government deport me?

What is a deportable offense?

What are the requirements to obtain a student visa?

Where do I apply for a student visa and how do I make the visa appointment?

My student visa is about to expire. How can I renew it or get a new visa?

Can I obtain permanent residence through investment?

I have a green card and plan on traveling out of the United States for a long time. Can I keep my green card?

What relatives might qualify for a green card through their relationship with a United States citizen?

What relatives might qualify for a green card through their relationship with a lawful permanent resident?

If I file papers for my husband immediately after we get married, will he get a restricted permanent resident card?

What if my spouse died? Can I still get my green card or citizenship?

What is a RFE?

If my husband loses his case in immigration court, is there any way we can keep fighting?

What is the form AR-11?

What is a K-1 fiance visa?

What is removal of conditions on permanent resident based on marriage?

How can I get a waiver of the requirement to file a joint application with my spouse for removal of conditions?

What is an I-94?

I am in the United States on a visa. Can I be deported if I am convicted of a crime?

My fiance is not a U.S. citizen, but I am. Does he or she automatically become a citizen after we are married?

Get Legal Help

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms of use of this website. I read this website's disclaimer and privacy policy and understand that THELAW.TV is not a lawyer referral service and makes no representation regarding the quality of legal services offered by the participating attorneys.


Martin Sweet is a visiting assistant professor of political science at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. He teaches and researches in the area of American Politics and Constitutional Law. He earned his J.D. in 1995 from the University of Minnesota Law School and his Ph.D. in 2003 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In 2005, he was co-awarded by the American Political Science Association for the nation's best dissertation in the area of public law. Martin is the author of Merely Judgment: Ignoring, Evading, and Trumping the Supreme Court, published by the University of Virginia Press, and is a regular political and legal contributor on television.