Law 101

Get Answers
Home \ Law 101 \ Florida Immigration Law \
Attorney Martin Sweet of THELAW.TV answers:

Why hire an immigration attorney or lawyer?

Martin Sweet, J.D., PhD., is THELAW.TV's Research Advisor. If you need legal assistance, please consult one of the featured law firms on or choose a legal topic to the left to get answers.

Immigration Law \ All Questions

What is immigration law?

What is the definition of an immigrant for immigration law?

Can I apply for asylum even if I am in the United States illegally?

Will I have to undergo a background check if I apply for asylum?

Can I apply for asylum if I have been convicted of a crime?

Who determines whether I will be granted asylum?

What happens if I am granted asylum?

Are children of American parent(s) born outside of the United States citizens of the United States?

Who is entitled to H-1B status and for how long?

How can I start a business in the United States?

Do I need a special permit to create a United States business?

Do I need to form a corporation or partnership or can I do business as an individual?

Do I need a special permit or license to open an office or store in the United States?

Do I need a visa to own a business in the United States?

Do I have to live in the United States to own a United States business?

Can I work in my own business even if I do not have a work visa?

What types of companies or corporations can I register in the United States?

What is the difference between an LLC, C, or S Corporation?

Do I have to pay United States taxes If I own a United States business?

What type of visa do I need to work in the United States?

Can I work in the United States with a B1/B2 tourist or business visitor visa?

How can I get a work visa?

If I have a Social Security number, can I work in the United States?

Will United States CIS provide special accommodations for me if I am disabled?

How do I request citizenship for my spouse and children?

Can I become a United States citizenship through a H1 work visa?

I am a Canadian currently working in the United States under a TN (NAFTA) visa. Can I apply for an H-1B?

I am a landed immigrant in Canada. Do I get any benefits?

Do Canadians get a special break when it comes to immigration?

Do Canadian citizens need a visa?

Do Canadian citizens need an I-94?

What does the new Arizona immigration law do?

What is an anchor baby?

Is dual citizenship possible?

Does the United States have a special agreement with Israel permitting people to be dual United States/Israeli citizens?

Is it against the law to have more than one passport?

My child was born overseas. Can they become a United States citizen?

Can my dependents or spouse obtain a derivative visa?

I am studying in the United States with a student visa. Can I work and obtain employment authorization?

When does a foreign fiance, admitted into the U.S. for the purpose of getting married, have to leave the United States?

What factors are considered by the United States CIS in an individual immigration case?

What is the purpose of the Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery Program?

What is the alien registration number?

How do I convert a tourist visa to a working visa?

What does immigration intent mean?

What happened to INS?

What is the United States CIS?

Can foreigners get a Social Security number?

What is the labor certification process?

What is the difference between LC and LCA?

What is the petition?

What is PERM?

Do quotas affect the process of labor certification? Does it matter if my immigration category is listed as current?

How long is the I-693 medical form valid?

What other conditions are there for changing jobs?

I have an employment-based I-485 pending and was recently laid off. Can I start with another employer?

Can my current employer classify me as a TN professional?

Can I become a citizen if I am married to an American citizen?

What are the requirements for a child to obtain a passport?

I earned income in the United States, but I am not eligible for a Social Security Number. What can I do?

Can I work on an F-2 visa?

What is a K-1 fiance visa?

My American citizen fiance is sponsoring me for immigration, does it matter where we get married?

Which is quicker to process, an immigrant or a fiance visa?

What is the process to have the conditional resident status for my spouse removed?

Can my fiance work in the United States before we marry?

What is an H-4 dependent visa?

How long can I stay in the United States on an H-4 visa?

Can I work on an H-4 visa?

Can I study on an H-4 visa?

Can I extend my stay on an H-4 visa?

Can I change status while on an H-4 visa?

How do I apply for an H-4 visa?

What is the processing time for H-4 visa?

Will my time in America as an L-2 spouse count in the six years I am allowed in H-1B temporary professional working status?

Can I change from H-4 to L-2 status so that I can get work authorization?

I am a United States citizen mother. How do I petition to bring my child to the United States?

Do I need to file a separate petition for my sibling's spouse or his unmarried children under 21 years of age?

Why should I use an attorney to apply for a visa when I can apply myself?

My fiance is not a U.S. citizen, but I am. Does he or she automatically become a citizen after we are married?

Get Legal Help

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms of use of this website. I read this website's disclaimer and privacy policy and understand that THELAW.TV is not a lawyer referral service and makes no representation regarding the quality of legal services offered by the participating attorneys.


Martin Sweet is a visiting assistant professor of political science at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. He teaches and researches in the area of American Politics and Constitutional Law. He earned his J.D. in 1995 from the University of Minnesota Law School and his Ph.D. in 2003 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In 2005, he was co-awarded by the American Political Science Association for the nation's best dissertation in the area of public law. Martin is the author of Merely Judgment: Ignoring, Evading, and Trumping the Supreme Court, published by the University of Virginia Press, and is a regular political and legal contributor on television.