Law 101

Get Answers
Home \ Law 101 \ Missouri Immigration Law \
Attorney Martin Sweet of THELAW.TV answers:

Why hire an immigration attorney or lawyer?

Martin Sweet, J.D., PhD., is THELAW.TV's Research Advisor. If you need legal assistance, please consult one of the featured law firms on or choose a legal topic to the left to get answers.

Immigration Law \ All Questions

What is immigration law?

What is the definition of an immigrant for immigration law?

When can I retain legal counsel in my immigration case?

What are the benefits of having an immigration attorney assist me?

How can I afford an immigration attorney?

How should I choose an immigration attorney?

How much will an immigration attorney cost me?

Can an immigration attorney ever help to speed up the resolution of an immigrantion or nationality matter?

How do immigration attorneys bill legal fees?

Who is born a United States citizen?

How do I get proof of my American citizenship?

Who is entitled to H-1B status and for how long?

What type of visa do I need to work in the United States?

Can I work in the United States with a B1/B2 tourist or business visitor visa?

How can I get a work visa?

How can I get a Social Security number?

If I have a Social Security number, can I work in the United States?

What are the costs of applying for citizenship?

Who is born a United States citizen?

How long will it take to become naturalized?

Where can I be fingerprinted?

What if I cannot make it to my scheduled interview?

If United States CIS grants me naturalization, when will I become a citizen?

Can I reapply for naturalization if United States CIS denies my application?

What can I do if I lost my certificate of naturalization for proof of citizenship?

Do I need a new permanent resident (alien registration) card when United States ICS issues a new version of the card?

Can I become a United States citizenship through a H1 work visa?

Where do I present or submit my citizenship application?

How long does the citizenship application process take?

When and where do I go to take the citizenship test?

What type of questions are included in the English and civic sections of the citizenship or naturalization test?

What If I failed the test? Can I take it again? How can I appeal?

Once I pass the naturalization test, do I automatically become a United States citizen?

Can a fee for immigration related services be waived?

I am a Canadian citizen and currently have TN status. When should I apply for an H-1B visa or a green card?

I am a Canadian currently working in the United States under a TN (NAFTA) visa. Can I apply for an H-1B?

Do Canadians get a special break when it comes to immigration?

Do Canadian citizens need a visa?

What is an anchor baby?

How is the deportation process initiated?

Can a deportation or removal order be appealed?

How does the deportation process start?

Do you lose your American citizenship if you move to another country with the intent of living there for a long time?

I am engaged to a United States citizen. When we get married, will I automatically get dual citizenship?

Where can I find a list of universities or institutions valid to obtain a student visa?

I am studying in the United States with a student visa. Can I work and obtain employment authorization?

Can I obtain a green card if I have a student visa?

How do I convert a tourist visa to a working visa?

What are the differences between out of status and unlawfully present?

What does immigration intent mean?

What is the United States CIS?

What is the Immigration and Customs Enforcement?

What is the Customs and Border Protection?

Can I obtain permanent residence through investment?

How long is a green card valid?

I need to travel out of the United States for more than one year. Is there nothing I can do?

I have a green card and plan on traveling out of the United States for a long time. Can I keep my green card?

What is the labor certification process?

What is the difference between LC and LCA?

What is the petition?

What is PERM?

What is a labor certification?

What are the steps to get a green card through employment?

How long do I need to have an H-1B or an L1 before my employer can sponsor me for a green card?

How long is the I-693 medical form valid?

How do I need to provide the medical examination?

I received a notification that my I-485 was forwarded to the local United States CIS office. Will there be an interview?

My service center or local office has very long processing times. Can I use a different office?

Do I need to file the I-485 at the service center or at the local office? Do I have a choice?

What is the quota backlog and what are the priority dates?

Does my category backlog of four years mean I can get a green card four years from now?

At what point in the process is it important that my priority date is current?

I read the term A visa number is immediately available to me in some legal texts. What does that mean?

What relatives might qualify for a green card through their relationship with a United States citizen?

What relatives might qualify for a green card through their relationship with a lawful permanent resident?

If I file papers for my husband immediately after we get married, will he get a restricted permanent resident card?

How does my spouse remove the conditions on his permanent resident card?

I was just granted lawful permanent resident status. How long before I can apply to become a United States citizen?

Can I become a citizen if I am married to an American citizen?

For how long do we have to be married to receive a green card or citizenship?

Can I get married to a U.S. citizen outside of the United States and still be eligible for a green card or citizenship?

How do I get a fiance visa for my girlfriend or boyfriend to travel to the United States?

What if we get divorced? Can I still get or keep my green card or citizenship?

What is the process of naturalization?

How do I become a citizen if I already have a green card?

Can I become a United States citizenship through a H1 work visa?

Can I become a United States citizenship through any type of visa?

Where do I present or submit my citizenship application?

How much time do I have to respond to a RFE?

Is it important to avoid a RFE, and how can I avoid it?

Does a RFE mean that United States CIS is about to deny my case?

What is a RFE?

Which is more accurate, the processing time on my receipt notice or on the United States CIS website?

Can I find out how long United States CIS takes for my type of case?

Who is eligible to apply for a United States passport?

How do I obtain a passport if I am outside of the United States?

What are the advantages of having a United States passport?

Who is eligible to apply for a United States passport?

How do I prove that I am an American citizen?

Can I have a United States passport and a non-United States passport?

Do I need a passport to travel inside the United States?

If my husband loses his case in immigration court, is there any way we can keep fighting?

How do I find the status of my case with the United States CIS?

Can I find my case status from outside of the United States?

What is the form AR-11?

I am a United States legal permanent resident with a green card. Can I get divorced and keep my green card?

What is an L-2 visa?

What privileges do I enjoy on an L-2 visa?

What are the limitations of an L-2 visa?

How long can I stay in the United States on an L-2 visa?

Do I need to apply for advance parole when I have to travel abroad on an L-2 visa?

Can I change from H-4 to L-2 status so that I can get work authorization?

On what visa can I enter the United States to marry an American citizen?

Will my K-1 status automatically change to permanent resident status after I marry my United States citizen fiance?

Can I apply for legal permanent resident status before marrying my American citizen fiance?

Is my American citizen spouse required to attend the interview for my marriage-based green card?

Do I get my green card after my interview for permanent residence based on marriage to an American citizen?

Get Legal Help

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms of use of this website. I read this website's disclaimer and privacy policy and understand that THELAW.TV is not a lawyer referral service and makes no representation regarding the quality of legal services offered by the participating attorneys.


Martin Sweet is a visiting assistant professor of political science at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. He teaches and researches in the area of American Politics and Constitutional Law. He earned his J.D. in 1995 from the University of Minnesota Law School and his Ph.D. in 2003 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In 2005, he was co-awarded by the American Political Science Association for the nation's best dissertation in the area of public law. Martin is the author of Merely Judgment: Ignoring, Evading, and Trumping the Supreme Court, published by the University of Virginia Press, and is a regular political and legal contributor on television.