Connecticut authorities complained Sunday that false information about the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary school is being promulgated online by social media tricksters, CBS news reports. Anyone who posts fake material about the rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School or killer Adam Lanza could face arrest, Connecticut State Police spokesman Lt. J. Paul Vance said at a press conference Sunday.“There has been misinformation coming from people posing as the shooter in this case, using other IDs, mimicking this crime and crime scene,” Vance said, adding that some of the posts are of a “threatening manner.” In addition to people pretending to be the shooter or other principals in the investigation, Vance said other posters are putting up information purported to be from the Newtown city police or the Connecticut state police. Neither of those agencies are posting information via twitter or other social media, he said.
Two days after the shooting deaths of 26 people at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school, Sen. Dianne Feinstein pledged Sunday that she would introduce new gun-control legislation at the beginning of next year’s congressional session. The Lost Angeles Times reports Feinstein said the purpose of her proposal, a version of the assault-weapons ban that expired in 2004, is to get “weapons of war off the streets of our cities.” Officials have said that most of those killed in Friday’s massacre — a toll that included 20 children — were shot with a semiautomatic assault-style rifle. Feinstein has been at the forefront of gun-control efforts nationally. Gun incidents have rarely led to more restrictive gun laws. One of the most notable exceptions occurred with the passage of an expansive 1968 gun law after the assassinations of Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy. That law established regulations on gun sales and created the categories of would-be buyers who were prohibited, including felons and those who had been dishonorably discharged from the military.
Google Inc. is close to emerging largely unscathed from a two-year federal probe of its Web-search business, people familiar with the matter said, a result likely to disappoint rivals that were hoping the Internet giant would become mired in antitrust litigation, The Wall Street Journal reports. The U.S. Federal Trade Commission could agree to end its investigation as soon as this week, in response to several voluntary changes that Google will agree to make to its search practices to satisfy some of the agency’s concerns, according to one of the people briefed on the matter. That would mean Google wouldn’t have to sign a so-called consent decree, a formal settlement with the agency in which the company would agree to certain terms, said the people familiar with the probe. Google still is likely to sign such a decree in a parallel investigation into a narrower issue related to its handling of mobile-technology patents that it acquired when it bought handset maker Motorola Mobility, said people familiar with the probe. The FTC believes it has evidence that Google improperly refused to grant patent licenses to some mobile-device competitors and sought court injunctions against them to stop the products from being sold, another person familiar with the matter has said.
After three months of failed negotiations, the labor dispute between the National Hockey League (NHL) and locked out players moved into the courts on Friday, with the league filing a class action complaint against the players’ union. The league asked U.S. courts to confirm the legality of the lockout. It also filed an unfair labor practice against the players’ union. The players’ union said the action had no merit. The NHL’s move appears to be a pre-emptive strike by the league after reports circulated that the NHL Players’ Association (NHLPA) would seek a vote from its members to proceed with a “disclaim of interest” and no longer represent players in bargaining. Dissolving the union would free players to file anti-trust lawsuits in the courts and have the lockout found illegal. On Sunday, Yahoo Sports named the federal judge presiding over the case as 51-year-old U.S. District Judge Paul A. Engelmayer.
The family of a 15-year-old student fighting the use of tracking badges in her San Antonio high school is asking a federal court to keep her on campus. The Northside school district equipped 4,200 students this fall with mandatory ID badges containing tracking chips. Administrators say locating students via computers will improve safety and boost attendance records that are used to calculate how much state funding a district receives. Sophomore Andrea Hernandez has refused to wear the badge, and the district says she must transfer to another campus if she doesn’t comply. The Associated Press reports a San Antonio federal court Monday is set to hear the family’s request to stop the district until the lawsuit is settled. Northside ISD is the fourth-largest school district in Texas.