THELAW.TV

5 Things To Know Today



FBI Experts Trying To Salvage Lanza Computer Data

Before Friday’s school massacre, Adam Lanza removed his computer disk drive and smashed it, making it difficult, if not impossible, to recover data, authorities and tech experts say. Two sources told The Hartford Courant the hard drive was broken in pieces, while ABC News reports the drive “appeared to have been badly damaged with a hammer or screwdriver.”  The destruction of Mr. Lanza’s computer could significantly thwart investigators in their search for a motive for his rampage, a law-enforcement official said. The computer was completely destroyed, and investigators were resigned to the fact that they would be able to glean from the machine no information about Mr. Lanza’s communications, his inspiration or his plans, the official said. Police instead will try to locate others who corresponded with Mr. Lanza, as well as any other digital footprints he may have left online, the official said.

NRA Goes Silent After Connecticut School Shooting

The nation’s largest gun-rights organization , typically outspoken about its positions even after shooting deaths , has gone all but silent since last week’s rampage at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school that left 26 people dead, including 20 children.  After previous mass shootings , such as in Oregon and Wisconsin , the group was quick to both send its condolences and defend gun owners’ constitutional rights, popular among millions of Americans. There’s no indication that the National Rifle Association’s silence this time is a signal that a change in its ardent opposition to gun restrictions is imminent. Nor has there been any explanation for its absence from the debate thus far. The NRA, which claims 4.3 million members and is based in Northern Virginia, did not return telephone messages Monday seeking comment. A couple of hundred activists marched Monday from a park on Capitol Hill to the NRA’s office, chanting “Shame on the NRA.”

Judge Denies Apple Request To Ban Samsung Phones

A federal judge late Monday dealt Apple a major blow in its landmark battle with Samsung, denying the company’s request to ban U.S. sales of smartphones from the South Korean electronics giant, USA Today reports. U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh rejected Apple’s request, stating that the Cupertino, Calif., computer maker has not been able to show that Samsung’s actions support an injunction. A San Jose jury in August found Samsung violated six of Apple’s patents and awarded a whopping $1 billion in damages. Jurors had sided with Apple in deciding that Samsung had violated key designs covering iPads and iPhones.  Three of the patents at issue were ones familiar to most consumers. The patents cover familiar touch functions that allow Apple device users to easily scroll pages, zoom out on images or tap to enlarge text, all with fingers. On the heels of the jury ruling, Apple had sought the ban of 26 Samsung devices from U.S. stores.

Betting Against A Gambling Ban

New Jersey, like most states, is prohibited by federal law from allowing betting on sports events, but Monmouth Park racetrack is taking the initial steps toward offering wagers on football, basketball and baseball games, reports The Wall Street Journal. Although a long shot, Monmouth President Bob Kulina’s effort is being encouraged by New Jersey officials, who have issued sports-betting regulations that flout the 20-year federal law that sharply limits the practice. A federal judge in New Jersey on Tuesday will consider whether sports leagues can challenge New Jersey’s effort, which is one of several by states seeking to introduce or expand sports betting. In 2010, a group of online sports-betting operators began to work with New Jersey officials to formulate a challenge to the federal law. Last year, around 63% of New Jersey voters approved a referendum allowing a change in the state Constitution to permit sports betting. This year, Gov. Chris Christie gave the green light for race tracks such as Mr. Kulina’s and Atlantic City casinos to offer sports betting, claiming the federal law was unconstitutional under states’ rights and equal-protection arguments.

Fraternity Members Face Hazing Charges After Student Dies

Nearly two dozen fraternity members at Northern Illinois University were charged Monday with hazing-related counts after a freshman was found dead at their fraternity house following a night of drinking. DeKalb police and prosecutors issued arrest warrants for 22 members of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity in DeKalb. Five members are charged with felony hazing, while the other 17 members are facing misdemeanor hazing charges. Phone messages and emails sent to local and national fraternity officials were not immediately returned, USA Today reports.  The warrants were filed after David Bogenberger, 19, was found unresponsive at the fraternity house early on Nov. 2. The DeKalb County Coroner’s Office said toxicology results found his blood alcohol content was about five times the legal limit for driving. The coroner ruled Bogenberger’s cause of death was cardiac arrhythmia, with alcohol intoxication as a contributing cause.

Related Articles